Sen. Leland Yee arrested on corruption charges UPDATED

Sen. Leland Yee, on the cover of our 8/30/11 issue, as he ran for mayor of San Francisco.
Guardian photo by Keeney + Law

California Sen. Leland Yee (D-SF) has reportedly been arrested on corruption charges following an FBI sting and raid on his office. In addition to our 2011 profile of Yee’s checkered voting history, over the last six months we at the Guardian have also been investigating Yee's unseemly votes and actions on behalf of monied interests, so check back later to read our findings and more on today’s unfolding actions against Yee.

UPDATE: We posted a story on Yee's unseemly reputation and voting history here, and we'll soon be posting details of his indictment, which is just now being unsealed.

UPDATE: We and other journalists are still pouring through the 137-page criminal complaint against Yee and 25 other defendants, but in short it charges that Raymond "Shrimp Boy" Chow "is currently the Dragonhead, or leader, of the San Francisco-based Chee Kung Tong organization," an organized crime syndicate involved in widespread criminal activities and money laundering. And it charges that Yee, “aka California State Senator Leland Yee, aka Uncle Leland," helped run an illegal firearms trafficking operation along with political consultant Keith Jackson, a member of the CKT syndicate. Yee is charged with wire fraud and conspiracy to deal firearms without a license and to illegally import firearms, which is ironic given that his legislative bright spot last year was the passage of three tough gun control bills, as we discuss in our related story on his political history.

Comments

You've been too busy being obsessed with successful sharing economy companies like Airbnb and Uber.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 8:39 am

You can do the search from this page. Leland Yee hasn't been mentioned here since Tim Redmond did it in August 2011.

Steven has been in charge for months but the name never came up. Contrast that with AirBNB.

It's just that Yee has now been arrested and Steven T Jones can't wait to now unleash cheap shots while Yee is down.

Tiny little person.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 9:07 am

I think you trolls are more gleeful about zinging me with untrue charges than I am about unleashing our research on Yee later today, work that Reed Nelson has spent many hours on and we were only sitting on because Yee kept canceling our interviews with him, probably because he was aware of the federal investigation. But here's a piece I wrote in September reporting on Yee's recent voting record and making it clear what we think of Yee's ethics: http://www.sfbg.com/politics/2013/09/04/are-yees-anti-tenant-votes-about-courting-contributions-landlords

PS You same trolls were criticizing me for that post and defending Yee for siding with the landlords.

Posted by steven on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 10:16 am

out, depriving you of your scoop.

How do you sleep at night telling whoppers like this?

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 11:43 am

There was no urgency to getting our Yee story out, and I was hoping to develop it more and do a bigger piece on it as the Secretary of State's race heated up. Yes, we're busy with many other priorities, I think we do excellent work for a three-person news team, and I renewed my contact with Yee's office just last week. It was you who lied about how we haven't mentioned Yee since I became editor, I've been entirely truthful in describing our work on this story, and in telegraphing to readers that it was coming. And just so you know, I will be deleting any more lies you try to spread on this site.

Posted by steven on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 1:50 pm
Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 2:53 pm

Not statements criticizing me, only those that are spreading lies. I don't think anyone who reads our blog would ever accuse me of censoring legitimate criticism, and many have been urging me to do something about you trolls, who seem to be sinking to new depths recently.

Posted by steven on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 3:25 pm

used to determine which comments get deleted, then you should delete half the stuff on here. You allow shitty little trolls to tell shitty little lies all over the place, and none of it ever gets deleted. Is it just lies about you that you care about?

Because the SFBG has refused to engage in any moderation of it's website, most progressive posters have left, and most readers say the comment section has become unreadable.

Is this what "Dinner with David Chiu" Vogt is telling you to do?

Posted by Greg on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 3:50 pm

If you seek to censor anyone who disagrees with you then you are no better than a fascist state.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 4:18 pm

Progressives should take inspiration from the latest news from North Korea: All true believers are henceforth required to have the same haircut as John Avalos.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 4:33 pm

Is it really lies or is it that you just don't want to be confronted with opinions that conflict with your own.

Because I don't think that my fellow Trolls lie all that much. Yes they get some things wrong but on the whole I think their record is better than the writers.

Here is an example. A few days ago Steven wrote "the City Attorney’s Office continues preparing to take legal action against Airbnb".

That's a big statement. Also absolutely not true.

In what way, shape or form did Steven Jones not lie when he published that statement?

(http://www.sfbg.com/politics/2014/03/20/sordid-saga-airbnb-10-billion-ou...)

That's just one recent example that comes to mind but there are others. Steven T Jones lies, constantly.

So I don't really think that it is the lying that bothers you, it is just who is doing it.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 4:25 pm

selective omission, and lying.

But you are right - people use the word "troll" to describe anyone who disagrees with them. A useless term, IMO.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 4:41 pm

Of course one can make a term seem useless by misapplying it constantly. --i.e. "a troll is just someone who disagrees with you".

A troll uses false rhetoric such as strawman: "So, you are saying...."; "In other words...."; --or the outrightly mendacious "You have said..." or "You have admitted...".

A troll engages in impostering in order to distort and disfigure the appearance of commenters.

A troll repeatedly makes the same arguments and statements without acknowledging or reacting to clear and documented evidence that the statements are false.

These are just some of the habits of real trolls.

Posted by lillipublicans on Mar. 27, 2014 @ 8:43 am

Don't mind Greg. He thinks free speech should only include stuff that he agrees with. He's still mad that Venezuela's government doesn't completely crush the opposition media.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 8:27 pm

If someone wishes to challenge what is true for you, then an enlightened editor would allow that, in the interests of free speech.

And if you can't stand the heat them, well, you know.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 4:19 pm

Since when has not talking to the subject of a story ever stopped the BG from publishing an article? I often see articles with: "X would not return our calls" or "Y refused to respond to our requests for an interview".

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 1:39 pm

Leland Yee was mentioned after August - he was also mentioned in October 2011 when he was endorsed by the Bay Guardian as the third choice for Mayor. It's funny how the Bay Guardian endorsed him at the same time they believed he was also corrupt.

Posted by Kristin on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 3:04 pm

nobody has accused the landslide winner Ed Lee of corruption, however.

And if SFBG could, they surely would.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 3:17 pm

You're claiming with a straight face that the whole Rose Pak/Willie Brown/Ed Lee/ Ron Conway clique isn't corrupt?

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 3:59 pm

But even if they were, the voters wanted that.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 4:20 pm

of the Ron Conway investment group. But that's not corruption. Oh no, that's just normal business practice.

Posted by Greg on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 8:10 pm

If you have any, go to the DA.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 27, 2014 @ 5:40 am

The SF DA's office turned the grabbing of an arm into the Crime of the Century. Meanwhile, when a member in good standing of the City Family beat the living daylights out of his partner and sent him to the hospital, they gave him a promotion -to Police Commissioner.

Posted by Greg on Mar. 27, 2014 @ 7:43 am
Posted by Guest on Mar. 27, 2014 @ 8:07 am

By this definition everyone who gets elected and goes corrupt should be shielded from criminal accountability because they were elected by the voters?

Posted by marcos on Mar. 27, 2014 @ 5:57 am

He is saying that the voters understand and accept that a certain amount of lubrication is needed to get things done.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 27, 2014 @ 6:15 am

You have to mix things up a little and throw in some quid for that quo.

It's marcos's inability to understand the need for compromise that rendered him moot in local politics.

On his tombstone it will say "I was ineffective, but remained pure".

Posted by Guest on Mar. 27, 2014 @ 6:27 am

Ron Calderon and his brother in January and now Leland Yee - what does this say about the way these groups conduct their affairs when they get in office? They seem to view public office mainly as a means to enriching themselves and their families.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 9:14 am

If you do not like our politicians then blame yourself.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 9:27 am

And besides - politicians have to follow the law as well. Unfortunately due to machine politics in CA many of them have been in one office or another for so long they've forgotten what following the law means. Look at Leland Yee for example - running for office is his career, doesn't matter what it is - he'll run for it. Supervisor, mayor, Assembly, Senate - state office.

Looks like this will be the end for Yee though.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 9:41 am
Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 11:42 am

Only juvenile chickenshit trolls attack under the cloak of anonymity. Have some balls and reveal who you are.

(Sound of crickets chirping).

And, SFBG, why do you keep allowing these these anonymous idiots to attack you? Have some self-respect for yourselves and for your publication.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 11:21 am
Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 11:42 am

>"Only juvenile chickenshit trolls attack under the cloak of anonymity."

You tell em, Um...."Guest".

>"Have some balls and reveal who you are."

Why is that important? So that someone can personally retaliate against us?

Dial our phones in the middle of the night? Spam us with text messages? Throw eggs at our homes? Because of our viewpoints?

Sorry that there are so many flaws in the SFBG narrative and so many ethical gaps in their practices. So buy the SFBG from Todd Vogt and put somebody with some sophistication into Steven's role.

Just getting even with the messengers won't help.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 12:04 pm

And he isn't smart enough to see the irony.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 12:17 pm

Drinks all around as her nemesis falls. And the SFBG did an article on Yee years ago exposing him, contrary to some opposing views.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 1:47 pm

A stopped clock tells the right time twice a day

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 2:10 pm

Pretty sure he was framed. I think Americans are just doing stupid shit like they usually do like starting warfare, when they can't afford it and have to borrow money from other countries. American borrow too much money from China as well. I think this is just part of racism that american is known for.

Posted by james simmons on Mar. 28, 2014 @ 4:57 pm

Pretty sure you don't know what you're talking about. Not even Asians are claiming racism here. They either say "we want to see how the legal proceedings go before making a judgement" or "if true, he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law". But don't let that affect your anti-American bias.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 28, 2014 @ 7:19 pm

There's a lot of trolls bashing Leland Yee here and I'd like to point out two things

First off, let us not forget what a good friend Leland has been to SEIU. Whatever laws he may have broken, he has always been on the right side of labor. I'm certain that whomever is tasked with political matters in local 1021 will soon be speaking on Leland's behalf to describe how accommodating he has always been where workers are concerned.

Second, despite his corruption charges, Leland is still not as bad as Gavin Newsom. Did you know that Newsom had sex with someone who worked for him? While not technically against the law, it is still at least as bad as many of the things Yee is accused of. Even worse, Newsom has been linked to Ed Lee. Did you know that Ed Lee lied? He said he wasn't going to run for Mayor and then he changed his mind. While that might not have the shock value of gun running or a murder-for-hire scheme, it is much more relevant to the lives of most San Franciscans.

I hope that the Bay Guardian will continue to support Leland Yee, as they did when they endorsed him for Mayor, and not turn their back on him as so many others have done now that times are difficult.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 30, 2014 @ 10:57 pm

Why oh why is anyone surprised? I remember telling a friend of mine a few years back when the Ed Jew fiasco was unveiling that Leland Yee was up to his eyeballs in it and that the only reason that he "fingered" Jew was because Jew was a naive wannabe who ran afoul of Yee's machine and tried to do an end run around seasoned and experienced crooks. Jew was just too naive to know who and what he was getting himself into. As I said to my friend then as soon as Jew's time is up they will reel Yee in as well by his fingernails and there will be another greased part of him that will be hanging in the air when he gets his twenty years in state and/or federal prison as he so "richly" deserves. The vaseline will be smeared all over him.
The mayor of Charlotte, the mayor of New Orleans, the mayor of Birmingham., the mayor of Detroit etc, the California senators and on and on etc.. These guys are ALL so stupid as to not understand that these days EVERYONE, especially people in public office, ALWAYS have a camera and a microphone pointed at them no matter what they are doing and where they are(even at home in bed with their significant or insignificant other.(Especially there). JFK skated by with his peccadilloes with Marilyn etc. only because the technology was not fully developed at his time but some of us remember all too well that Richard Nixon was doomed by TAPES. Tapes that he ordered created. His blind spot was the beginning of the surveillance age and ALL politicians should beware and KNOW what they are opening themselves up to when the “run” for office.
Edward Snowden also gave us a clear message (wake up call) to the extent to which we are ALL watched, tracked, digitized, recorded, photographed etc. Hell one federal agency even has a NEW program out now to identify people by their unique gait AND some colleges and universities make online test takers provide a sample of their keyboarding as identification-yes that too is supposed to be unique to the keyboarder.

Get a clue people-someone is ALWAYS watching and the key to survival is to always assume that you are on camera, microphone etc. 24/7. I hate it but I live by it because it’s the new reality. One adapts or one dies. Or worse one is publicly and irrevocably humiliated. So above all else be careful what you “share”-a new cord word for telling your business to all and sundry and why you should “feel” good about it. i.e. sexting.

One last thing; I’ve lived in San Francisco for many years and within two years of living here was completely disillusioned with the so called liberal progressives, non profit do-gooders, mayoral and other political candidates and last but not least the virulent school board and system which cares NOTHING about our kids education. Most of these “officials” quickly turned out to be mostly phonies, closet racists, thieves and liars with their own agendas. This is based on my personal knowledge and experience. I could name many names but why bother. Yee, Jackson, Shrimp Boy and the others will be replaced by others of their ilk as soon as the smoke clears.

Count on it-it’s human nature

Posted by Guest on Apr. 05, 2014 @ 6:16 pm

.My name is GiLnard I will love to share my testimony to all the people in the forum cos i never thought i will have my girlfriend back and she means so much to me..The girl i want to get marry to left me 4 weeks to our wedding for another man..,When i called her she never picked my calls,She deleted me on her facebook and she changed her facebook status from married to Single...when i went to her to her place of work she told her boss she never want to see me..I lost my job as a result of this cos i cant get myself anymore,my life was upside down and everything did not go smooth with my life...I tried all i could do to have her back to all did not work out until i met a Man when i Travel to Africa to execute some business have been developing some years back..I told him my problem and all have passed through in getting her back and how i lost my job...he told me he gonna help me...i don't believe that in the first place.but he swore he will help me out and he told me the reason why my girlfriend left me and also told me some hidden secrets.i was amazed when i heard that from him..he said he will cast a spell for me and i will see the results in the next couple of days..then i travel back to US the following day and i called him when i got home and he said he's busy casting those spells and he has bought all the materials needed for the spells,he said am gonna see positive results in the next 2 days that is Thursday...My girlfriend called me at exactly 12:35pm on Thursday and apologies for all she had done ..she said,she never knew what she's doing and her sudden behavior was not intentional and she promised not to do that again.it was like am dreaming when i heard that from her and when we ended the call,i called the man and told him my wife called and he said i haven't seen anything yet... he said i will also get my job back in 3 days time..and when its Sunday,they called me at my place of work that i should resume working on Monday and they gonna compensate me for the time limit have spent at home without working..My life is back into shape,i have my girlfriend back and we are happily married now with kids and i have my job back too.This man is really powerful..if we have up to 20 people like him in the world,the world would have been a better place..he has also helped many of my friends to solve many problems and they are all happy now..Am posting this to the forum for anybody that is interested in meeting the man for help.you can mail him at abufatima77powerspellcaster@gmail.com I cant give out his number cos he told me he don't want to be disturbed by many people across the world..he said his email is okay and he' will replied to any emails asap..hope he helped u out too..good abufatima77powerspellcaster@gmail.com ONCE AGAIN HIS EMAIL ADDRESS IS:abufatima77powerspellcaster@gmail.com

Posted by Gilnard on May. 04, 2014 @ 1:40 pm

I want to start first by saying a big "thank you" to Dr Abu Fatima There are a bunch of nuts out there just trying to make a fast buck, but you are legitimate! I prayed before I went online that God would send me exactly where I needed to go to find help God directed me to Dr Abu Fatima on abufatima77powerspellcaster@gmail.com or mobile number +2340750485553

Posted by Crystal on May. 05, 2014 @ 3:02 am

Hello my people is my greatest surprise that my lovely man Charles is back after Dr odudu cast a returned and reunite spell for me in just 48hours i was in sad mood when i contacted Dr odudu on oduduspell@gmail.com but to the Glory of God my lover came back to me.i want to used this opportunity to tell the readers and the views that Dr odudu is the only you should contact when having a relationship issue because i am a living testimony about Dr odudu contact him now to wipe away your tears here is the direct contact of Dr odudu [ ODUDUSPELL@GMAIL.COM OR CALL +2348051913076]
PERRY FROM U S A

Posted by perry on May. 08, 2014 @ 5:58 pm

DR SAMBOLA spelltemple is a place were all kinds of
spiritual problems
is been talking care off with his black magic spell
without any side
effect, Dr SAMBOLA spelltemple is an award winning
temple with many
years of experience. Him cast spell like
love spell
money spell
election winning spell
examination spell
lotto winning spell
beauty spell
promotion spell
and lot more contact today on greatsambolaspiritualtemple@gmail.com for
any help and
live a happy life today
Because DR SAMBOLA just help me get my lost husband back to me a week ago. Thank you DR. My name is mrs Esther.

Posted by Esther on May. 09, 2014 @ 3:52 pm

Getting my Ex back was something that i couldn’t imagine will be so easy. I’ve known Cynthia for years, When we finally got together, things were so weird so we broke up in January 2008 In June 2010, we got back together and we were together until march 2013 of which she told me she was not interested in the relationship again, for a reason she didn’t say, and which i don't know. During that time my mind was completely at a state of unrest, I wasn’t eating, neither was i sleeping, talking to anyone was even more difficult, I cried, I was so depressed and stressed out that I was scared and was even planning to end it all but a friend of mine named Alex Richard who passed through same situation advised me to contact Dr. Chikala to help me because I Love and care about her so much and I just want us to be together again, i contacted him although i never used to believe in spell casting but i gave it a try and and he cast the spell and to my greatest surprise everything was alright, Cynthia called me and started begging for all she has caused me. It made a positive result and today we are happily married and blessed with two wonderful kids. To you all out there faced with the same problem or similar to this, you can contact Dr. Chikala on his email address on Drchikala@gmail.com because he will help you. Once again thank you Dr. for bringing back my love. Thank you.

Posted by kelly joe on May. 11, 2014 @ 4:11 pm

My name is Mrs Merlin Lina, Am from USA, I have been divorce for 5 years now, with no man looking at me or asking me out. i registered on more than 32 dating website in search of a man, i was even scammed during the process of searching on different website, until a friend introduced me to a great man of DR. OKOSODO online, he told me that everything will be fine that he can do a spell that will make men love me and ask me out and now, am happily married, please help me in thanking him for his help, here is the email: drokosodo@live.com ALSO CONTACT HIM FOR HELP IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEM.

Posted by Borbly Maxwell on May. 11, 2014 @ 6:27 pm

My name is Andrew, I live in china! Am 29year old I work as banker, am living happily, but my only problem was my finance, before now she was see another man( 3months ago before we finally got married she was not interested in me any more so I decided to find help my friend told me about this man who gave him solution to his marriage and say to me it will be okay if I visited him so I said okay, I gave it a try and it was successful) now am happy because she has all was been my dream to marry her. It was not easy but at the end it was successful, if you need help too you can also contact him on this email: okitispell@gmail.com
promise you, you will be happy you visited, give it a try my friend. if you are out there passing through any of this problems listed below:
1) If you want your ex back.
(2) if you always have bad dreams.
(3) You want to be promoted in your office.
(4) You want women/men to run after you.
(5) If you want a child.
(6) You want to be rich.
(7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
(8) If you need financial assistance.
(9) How you been scammed and you want to
recover you lost money.
(10) Do you need cure for your disease email: okitispell@gmail.com

Posted by andrew on May. 11, 2014 @ 11:40 pm

want to say a very big thanks and appreciation to DR fadeyi for bringing back my husband who left me and kids for almost 2 years within the space of five days after following all instruction given to me. i am very much grateful for restoring peace in my marital home' i pray God almighty give you the strength and wisdom to help more people having similar problem like mine. for help you can
CONTACT HIM on this email :doctorfadeyitempleofspell@gmail.com

Posted by Joyce Morgan on May. 12, 2014 @ 6:16 pm

Hello Every one out here!!
I want to share my testimony and my happiness with you all in this site, last year my husband left me for another woman in his working place and he abandon me and my 2kids, everything was so hard for me because i love him so much, so i saw the testimonies of Dr.fadeyi how he has been helping ladies in getting there husband back so i contacted him and he help me to cast a return spell for my husband and in 2 days my husband left the other woman and he come back to me with so much love and caring. i will never forget this help that Dr.fadeyi gave to me and my children.if you are here you need help to get you lover back you can contact him through this email doctorfadeyitempleofspell@gmail.com, i am proud to be on his testimony page.

Posted by Anna on May. 12, 2014 @ 6:20 pm