Not even sure if "amazing" is a strong enough word, but the Castro Theatre is screening a pair of cool-ass movies on 35mm tonight. Frankly, I don't think you have anything better to do, because there isn't anything better than a WARREN OATES movie except maybe a WARREN OATES DOUBLE FEATURE.
Kicking things off at 7pm, it's Sam Peckinpah's Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974). Oates plays a perpetually rumpled bartender whose determination to collect a huge bounty (the prize: see title) leads him into some mighty surreal adventures in Mexico's sinister outback. Co-stars include Kris Kristofferson (in particularly kreepy mode).
Next up, at 9:05pm, is the greatest road movie ever made, Monte Hellman's Two-Lane Blacktop (1971). Oates plays G.T.O., which is what I'll be naming my hypothetical third child. (My first kid, of course, would be called Warren Oates; the second would be Harry Dean Stanton. Obvi.) The Red Vic (RIP) used to show Two-Lane Blacktop all the time, so head out tonight, first to see a wonderful movie, but also to thank the Castro for filling the two-lane void.
Most Commented On
- Lou Reed's not so perfect day - April 19, 2014
- I NEED MY EX GIRLFRIEND BACK - April 19, 2014
- the spell caster that help bring my ex back - April 19, 2014
- HOW TO GET YOUR EX BACK TO YOU - April 19, 2014
- Mid-Market landlord appeals as tenants face holiday evictions - April 19, 2014
- THANKS TO GREAT DR AISABU FOR SOLVING MY PROBLEMS HIS EMAIL IS ( - April 19, 2014
- hello - April 19, 2014
- buIUXMlKUDOSqePs - April 19, 2014
- That is what the city is saying - April 19, 2014
- RVrsDuHfgsqZCDWBmxZ - April 19, 2014