Facebook is binary no more.
The social media company announced via its Facebook Diversity page that profiles will now allow for a custom gender choice, a change long sought by transgender rights activists.
Traditional social networking (and even dating) websites mostly allow only the choice of male and female. But now Facebook has functionality to add multiple gender identifiers under a customizable text menu. The change was brought about through a collaboration with a number of LGBT advocacy groups, including GLAAD.
"This new feature is a step forward in recognizing transgender people and allows them to tell their authentic story in their own words," said GLAAD President Sarah Kate Ellis, in an announcement on their website.
The new function has up to ten variable gender options: transgender, cisgender, androgynous, genderqueen, neutral, and others. The list will be added to in the future, GLAAD said.
Most Commented On
- Oh so socialist, - April 16, 2014
- Yes like the Italian - April 16, 2014
- Bravo ! - April 16, 2014
- Busy-ness - April 16, 2014
- Life is beautiful. Let's go - April 16, 2014
- He was a security guard. .. - April 16, 2014
- Sure, at the very top there - April 16, 2014
- You must remember, the cities progressives speak - April 16, 2014
- Work harder - April 16, 2014
- Even if I were to agree with your characterization... - April 16, 2014